I did my first 5k of the year a few weeks ago.
While it was still a little chilly, it was nice to get outdoors. 5ks are a lot
of fun – especially if the run has a
crazy theme. The one we did was Martian themed, and some of the costumes were
crazy cool! As the weather gets warmer, it is pretty easy to find and sign up
for a 5k each weekend if you want to really get into it. Most of the time the
races are benefiting a charity and have fun swag to give out to the
participants. Now, I know what you are thinking. But you don’t have to be a hardcore
runner to have fun at a 5k. By the way, a 5k is 3.2 miles. I certainly don’t run
the whole thing. I do a little walking here and there. But no matter if you are
in first place or last, you will have people cheering for you and will have a
1. : Start Memorial Day weekend off right by participating in a 5k in honor of Miamisburg native Rocky Zanowick, who lost his life while serving his country.
2. : Join the Humane Society of Greater Dayton at their annual Furry Skurry 5k and Furry Fest. It is a day full of cute animals benefitting the Humane Society. There will be music, goat yoga, a pet costume contest and more.
3. : Love superheroes and donuts? This is the race for you! Participants get a finisher medal and free donuts at the end of the race. These aren’t just any donuts, they are Bill’s Donuts! First place male and female winners get Bill’s every week for a year. This race is benefitting A Special Wish Foundation.
4. : Grab your pups and head over to the Lift your Leg 5k for the SICSA pet adoption center. There are prizes for best costume for humans and pets.
5. : Yep, you read that right – Beer 5k. And yes, there is beer there. After the race enjoy a beer-tasting party with the microbreweries in the area. Their charity partnership this year is Hannah’s Treasure Chest.
6. : Can you believe it is almost time for the Strawberry festival? There is both a 5k and 10k (6.2 miles) this year and each finisher gets a medal and strawberry donuts. Yum!
As you can see, there is no shortage of 5ks in the area! This list only includes a portion of the races available in May and the first weekend in June. Send me your thoughts or race photos at. For more fun ideas visit my