Ah summer! The days are longer, and
the weather is more cooperative, which makes it nice to be outdoors. The best
part about summer for me is all the free events going on! From festivals and concerts
to workout classes and more, there are all kinds of free events and activities
you can attend. The fitness classes are the most beneficial in my mind because
they can otherwise be expensive. A membership at a gym I used to attend was
upwards of $700 for the year. During the summer, you can get the same classes
for free. So, if you like fitness, or just want to try something new, this blog
is for you.
1. : Each year, Riverscape Metro Park offers a variety of free workout classes. There is no registration required, and the classes are for all ages. The class is held every other Saturday from 10-11 a.m. The next one is July 6.
2. : Riverscape alternates between yoga and zumba on Saturdays through August. Zumba is a great way to get your heart pumping and is insanely popular. Again, no registration is required, and the class is open to all ages. The next one is June 29.
3. : This is a new class offered this summer. This one is on Tuesday nights from 5:30-6:30 p.m.
4. : Ignite Yoga is also offering yoga in the park on the second and fourth Wednesday of the month from 6-7 p.m. The classes are held at Stubbs Park in Centerville. While kids are welcome, the class is geared more toward adults.
5. : Head to MVP Dance Fit in Xenia for their annual fitness expo. They will have food trucks, raffle prizes and free fitness demos of the classes they offer all morning. The fitness classes are free and great for all ages. If you go, try Hip Hop Tabata. It’s one of my favorites!
6. : Go for a night hike at Sweet Arrow Reserve in Bellbrook. Hiking is a great form of exercise! This event is also free and great for all ages. Make sure you dress for cooler weather and wear appropriate footwear!
There are plenty of other options apart from these classes/events. You could go for a walk or run through a park, you could join a running club, or you could sign up for any of the many 5k run/walks going on right now. We have plenty of options around here between the metro parks and the state parks. Swimming is great exercise, too, so head to the pool with the kids! Whatever you choose, make sure you are having fun, because at the end of the day that is what is important.
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Send them to me at. For more activities happening in our area make sure to stop by my .